Monday- Fashion Illustrations

Today I created a fashion illustration for each look, trying to get the expressions and poses to contrast but using ink for both so they also connect.

IMG_1168

For my holiday look, I used flowing wavy lines like the sea, I elongated the figure giving her a glamorous beautiful girl on holiday look. I wanted to leave her feet out of the picture to give her that beautiful drifting floating, dreamy feel that you get on holiday.

IMG_1171

In contrast for my migrant look I wanted to give the sense of being trapped, so put chains on the models hands and positioned her so she looked like a puppet on a string being controlled and having none of her own freedom and the human rights she deserves. I used line work on the face to suggest the tense frown lines and stress that may be seen on someone suffering, the effect is almost mask like suggesting she is trapped in a mask and is not free to be who she wants to be and travel where she wants to.

Friday-Independent Study Day

Today I did the finishing touches to both dresses. The heaviness of the fabric and the rope macrame detail was pulling my holiday voyage dress out of line at the top, so I needed something that could take some of the weight and create a nice shape for the dress, so I resolved the problem by adding a bra insert.

I sewed the bra into the dress giving it a flattering shape that can be seen in these before and after shots.

IMG_1181.JPG

By resolving the first problem I had created another problem as the bra could now be seen at the back, so I added poppers to pull the fabric over the bra covering it yet still allowing it to be easily taken on and off with easy access to the bra.

I finished off the fraying of the edges of all my hem details for my migrant look.

 

Thursday- Making Process

Today I did the finishing touches for my Holiday look. I hand stitched the he for the bottom of my skirt. I used an invisible stitch so although it can be seen on the underneath on the outside it is invisible. I did this by instead of going right through the top of the fabric with the needle, I only went through three strands of the material then back underneath. This gives a smooth sleek feel for my holiday look, which contrast with my migrant look where I made most of the stitches seen to give a rougher feel.

I attached the macrame to my dress in the folds creating a pocket like detail. I used doubled covered thread and tacked it in different places to make sure it is secure as it is quite heavy.

IMG_1089IMG_1093IMG_1096Things I still need to do: The weight of the fabric is pulling down the top, so I need to get a bra insert and sew it into the dress to help keep it in shape and held up

Wednesday- Making Process

Today I started sewing on my migrant look, I attached the rope belt sewing it into the dress, using doubled over string to make it stronger,  as with the belt being heavy I wanted to make sure it was secure to the dress and wouldn’t break off.

IMG_1047

I then tacked the folds in the fabric to create stormy sea, wave like shapes.

IMG_1049

I used sizers to cut the edges of the dress, then pulled out the individual threads with my fingers to create a frayed, weathered look. This will  give the desired contrast with my holiday look where I hemmed the edges to stop fraying giving it a smooth edge.

IMG_1056

Tuesday- Starting the Sewing

IMG_0977Today I started the sewing process, starting with my holiday look, as with it being in a silky fabric and the blue insert I felt it would be the more difficult to make of the two looks so I wanted to do it first, so that I wasn’t rushing it and left my self plenty of time to make it.

IMG_0984I took the material I had pinned and tacked stitched them as with the slippy fabric I wanted to make sure it wouldn’t move when I put it in the sewing machine.

IMG_0969IMG_0993For the blue insert I straightened out the blue material better so it wouldn’t pucker and cut off the edges of the material that weren’t needed to make sure they wouldn’t get stuck n the machine, then sewed it in.

IMG_0992I folded over the edges of the material, and hemmed them in to stop it from fraying.

IMG_0967

I marked on the arm hole with chalk so I knew where to cut and th right size to cut.

IMG_1003I created a slit for the arm hole and used bias binding as with it being on bias it can curve round the shape of the arm hole easily keeping it need.

The look completed so far on the mannequin.

What I still need to do to finish the holiday look:

  1. I need to tac stick the folds into place
  2. I need to add the moulage onto the dress, sewing it in

 

Monday-Mannequin Pinning

I pinned my looks on the mannequin using moulage to get an idea of how it would look, trying out different combinations to find my favourite looks to take forward for sewing.

Holiday Look Moulages- I focused on draping that looks like sails, taking inspired from the flowing white material of the Greeks :

After trying different combinations I decided this was my favourite look as I felt it was most unusual shape with the different gathers and I felt a long dress would be very exciting and dramatic for my holiday look. I also really liked the blue as a back detail as I feel it is subtle and discreet way of giving a bit of colour and interest.

IMG_0949

IMG_0951

Ideas for my migrant voyage look- I tried to create folds that would imitate that of the waves of the stormy sea:

 

I decided to take this look forward as because I am choosing a long dress for my holiday look, to ensure a strong contrast between the two looks I have decided to go for a short dress look. I felt the beautiful turquoise blue colour would be better for my holiday look as it suggests a sunny warm sea, so chose a look without the blue. I also felt this look really captured the stormy sea waves with the folds.

IMG_0952