I feel on target with my initial proposal as I have finished my responses and I am starting to think about final garment ideas doing moulage on the mannequin with my samples and tracing outfit ideas as a way of extending these over the photos. I have slightly tweaked certain things on my time plan when I feel another way of ordering things would be better. For example on my time plan I put to start flat designs after my first CAD workshop showing how to create flats online, however after reviewing this I felt I wanted to wait till after my second workshop on flats so that I was more confident with using the software for the flats as I found it a bit challenging to use at first, so felt I could do with the extra practice.
Yes I am happy with my progress as I am on target with where I want to be on my time plan. I have found my weekly time plans and class critiques have helped me stay on time and work out what I need to do next. So to continue working on time I am definitely going to continue doing weekly time plans and getting involved in class critiques. I also find the checklists my tutor gives me very helpful, I use them to tick things off when I have done them so not to forget anything.
The things I feel are my strengths in my project are the strong contrast between the two looks and their meanings, one being about dangerous voyages that immigrants have to undertake and the other being holiday voyages. I have really enjoyed researching into both my themes and the migrant theme being such a current theme and a theme that I really empathise with, it has helped me feel inspired by my research and want to do it well and create an awareness about the issue. However at the same time, running two parallel themes can also be a challenge because I want both themes to be clearly separate to allow for a strong contrast but yet connect. At first I struggled with this, but I thought about it and wrote down different ideas and came up with some solutions. I felt if I created two separate narrative books for each theme, allowing me to clearly explain the different narratives, showing a contrast between the two. When coming to development and thinking about final garments I look at all my samples I had done so far and spoke to my tutor to find her opinion and we both decided my rope samples were the most interesting and versatile along with the flowing fabrics looking back at my research on Greek dress. The rope will add interest while the flowing material will add shape and movement, like a sail blowing in the wind. However I want to keep that link between my two themes and that contrast, so I am planning on using similar techniques however changing the materials for each look. For the voyage look I am planning on using white, crisp rope and using silky material, where as old and red stained rope for the migrant look and using cotton material with frayed edges.
This week I have developed ideas for my final garments, using moulage and drawing to do this. My research has informed my development work by looking at different knots within sailing books and online learning different techniques in macrame which I am planning on taking forward for my final designs. My research from art galleries into the migrant crisis and some of the dangers and injuries they have faced, made me want to create an awareness of this within my look. This is why I want to make the rope I use for that look, blood stained spraying red paint and emphasise the contrast. This will show how while people are enjoying their holiday voyages people are dying on boats, so we mustn’t forget their suffering and do what we can to help.
My plan of action is to finish all my ideas for final garments by Friday, pick my favourite one of these for each theme, by the materials I will need for these over the weekend and create flats for my designs. Then start making over the next two weeks, and recording the process within my sketchbook and on my blog.